A spacious master suite requires smart furniture choices. In this large room with a tall tray ceiling, the upholstered bed, bedside tables, and desk at the footboard are all the correct scale for the room. Tall draperies also help minimize the room's volume.
- Rich silks on the bed and windows create sumptuous style.
- A pair of gourd lamps, large enough to fill wall space, flank the bed.
- Placing a desk at the footboard takes up space and makes a bold statement.
- Moldings at the top of the walls and in the tray ceiling add character.
Pump up a room's personality with contemporary styling. Keep the look sophisticated with clean lines and graphic shapes. Use an unusual color pairing, such as orange and red or lime and black, and limit accessories to a few interesting pieces displayed in an unexpected way.
- Orange, pink, and red are cheerful additions to a room with muted tones.
- The texture of quilted pillows and a wicker footstool creates interest.
- Sliding glass partitions separate the room from an adjoining sitting area.
- Add display space with a narrow shelf that runs the length of the room.
This contemporary bedroom gets a shot of personality and interest from a repeating pattern of boxes and squares. Wall niches, built-in bookshelves, and a metal canopy bed each include geometric shapes. Canopy draperies are made of striped fabric hung from tabs.
- Wall niches take advantage of space between the studs.
- Cool metal and granite is warmed by tan bedding and a wood chest.
- White and a soothing palette of neutrals makes for a restful room.
In this master suite, classic styling sets the tone while unexpected elements add a shock of the new. Original woodwork, heavy draperies, and an Empire-style headboard are traditional touches. A shag rug, Asian-inspired prints, and mirrored tables update the look.
- A pair of cherry-blossom photographs hangs above the bed.
- A 1920s shell chair was covered in pink silk to emphasize its shape.
- Mirrored bedside tables add to the room's luxurious look.
- White bedding doesn't distract from the room's other colors.
- A custom armoire provides hidden storage for a television and extra linens.
- Banded curtain panels with a matching valance frame the view.
- Oversize chairs are a comfy place to curl up in front of the fireplace.
- Avoid a cluttered look by choosing a few oversize accessories.
- White bedding with a navy border gives the room a crisp look.
- Indigo sea-grass wallpaper is a pretty contrast to the white wainscoting.
- Accents are kept to a series of shell prints and shells on the tables.
- Contrasts are calming, not busy. They allow for a clean look.
In a master bedroom that benefits from an adjacent rooftop terrace or outdoor patio, control privacy, sun, and the view with a floor-to-ceiling fabric "wall" hung on a sleek, room-spanning track. White walls and neutral furnishings and bedding keep the space light and bright.
- When there's no room for bulky side tables, use wall-mounted lamps instead.
- Pin-stripe pillows and beige curtains combine for a gender-neutral look.
- An upholstered headboard and footboard add softness to a modern room.
- Add a band of slightly darker fabric around curtains to create interest.
Surrounded in sheer white curtains, this bed feels cozy and airy at the same time. The panels are bordered in lengths of white satin, adding a bit of glamour and glow. Dark wood tones are the only other colors in the space, creating a serene getaway.
- Keep a room from floating by grounding pale furnishings with dark woods.
- Choose an all-white scheme if you love an airy, romantic look.
- Pay attention to texture changes to avoid a one-color palette being boring.
- Even tiny pops of color, like the roses, stand out against white.